Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Here's to a Stress Free Me

27941-fullsize

I would love to be here. Suspended. Surrounded by wildlife and air. Stillness.

I spoke to my friend/sorority sister on the phone the other night. Her son is only a few months younger than my 16 month old daughter. We discussed just how stressed we really are trying to hold down the lifestyle we had pre-baby while still trying to be a good Mom. Working, Cleaning, Cooking, Bathing, Reading, Teaching, Scolding, and Maintaining a household. Working, Learning and advancing in our careers. Having a dating life or some sort of sextual intimate connection with a significate other. Then still trying to find a minute for a conversation with a friend or even a drink with an old buddy. Planning activites for the kids on the weekends... Well, you get the picture. "It feels like I'm so busy living my life, that I'm not enjoying my life." She says. As I began to offer UNSOLICITED advice as most humans do, I realized that I needed to grab a fork and eat my words. I am exactly the same way, OMG!

All this the stress must stop. Must S.T.O.P. I am on a personal mission to stop my stress one step at time and of course I will share my journey here.

As I do with anything, I look into the pitfalls prior to leaping. This shady looking website had this bit of advice to offer under the title: "Stress Relief Strategies" Subtext: "(Please print out this document and read it offline.)" Which kinda freaked me out in a dominatrix kinda way. I told you I was stressed.
    Some Strategies to Avoid
  • Attempting to make everything in life stress-free.
  • Focusing on every event and constantly reminding yourself to relax.
  • Regularly avoiding the feeling of emotions (e.g., sadness, anger, joy, fear, etc.).
  • There are a number of other things which will not work in the long run when used by themselves only -- long vacations, execise, etc.
The type of strategy which tends to work is the combination of gradually and gently trying to change one's habits plus regular practices or situations which help put the body in a relaxed state. Both types of strategies are important in promoting stress reduction.

So that's a start. Here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment